Monday, September 8, 2008

Job Security

Sometimes it's not the customer or employee that does stupid shit. Sometimes, it's the company.

In the complex I work, there is a One-Time Giant retailer that has fallen on hard times. They recently decided to close the location where I work. The "STORE CLOSING EVERYTHING MUST GO!!!" signs went up two weeks ago. Today, they increased the size of the signs, like that will save them.

What really got me laughing was what I saw this morning as I drove by the store.

Bear in mind, those Closing signs are everywhere. There are six of them by each entrance, four of them on the top of the building facing each direction, and three on the street blinding drivers.

Driving by this morning, I noticed at each entrance, right below the Store Closing signs, was a sign in large print stating "NOW HIRING"!

That's right. Now hiring for a job that will end in 3 weeks.

Am I missing something?

You can start a job just to have the company quit on you for a change. Nice.


What's really fun with customers is how they seem to think that every other store in the complex knows why that one store is closing. While I do talk with other managers in the complex, business information like that is usually considered confidential by retailers, and as a result, it's a terminal offense to disclose it (one of the reasons I am vague about work details). We do speculate with each other, since most of the stores around me are small, and the big anchor stores don't speak with us that much.


On a side note, I did learn bribing my team gets great results. I had challenged my team to hit certain performance goals and I would cook for them. They hit the goals, so I made enchiladas for them. They have decided I can cook. I agree with the thought.... feed me and I will do just about anything (I have SOME limits, so don't get all your, er... hopes... up).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol...too funny.

I'd make sure to ask for the medical benefits for the next 3 weeks! :)