Friday, September 12, 2008

Chatsworth

As I am sitting here, getting ready to watch some baseball, I get a call telling me to watch the news. I see the remains of the Chatsworth train wreck in LA County. 7 freight cars and one Metrolink cars derailed. The Metrolink engine is off the track and one of the Union Pacific engines. A couple of the boxcars appear to be totally demolished.

Once again, I am grateful to the men and women of the LA County Police and Fire Departments. I understand via Channels 2 (KCBS), Channel 5 (KTLA) and Channel 7 (KABC) that other departments are involved in the rescue effort. Thanks again so much for helping each other... and US!... out of danger. The efforts they are making to get to help those still trapped is amazing.

I can only imagine what it is like. The damage on TV is horrific, and those people have to go help out.


As I sit and watch the coverage, I see how far the Metrolink engine was crushed into the first passenger car. They are saying the train was only going 25 MPH. So far, only 3 reported fatalities (and my heart goes out to those families). [Check that... KABC is now saying 4]. I fear it will only get worse as they clear the wreckage.

My mother saw the wreckage and immediately thought of the Glendale wreck a couple of years ago, which was caused by a guy (later convicted of murder) who parked his SUV on the tracks causing a major wreck.


LA County Rescue teams.... you guys are the best.

No comments: