Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Apparently Columbus Was Persian... Or Was It Afghan?

It's a rant.

Today I set a record. I got told off.

That's not the record.

The record is that each time, I was told off in Farsi.

Next time, I will just save a lot of time and effort and go postal after the first one. Or at least find a beer to drown myself in.


Each one of the people yelling at me were upset that I don't speak Farsi (never mind that it is considered THE toughest language to learn if not your native tongue).

The last one got to me. Her closing argument was "you should learn to speak Farsi like everyone else here!"

Say what??

When did Farsi become the native language of Southern California?

I know that there is a heavy Hispanic population here (Santa Ana has the highest Hispanic concentration in the States). So I can see Spanish as a necessary language. I even respect the history of Spanish being spoken in California since this state was originally a Spanish (and later Mexican) territory that was taken over by the US.

I understand the history of English here, since parts of California were discovered by the English.

Native American languages make sense since they beat everyone here.

I could even understand, though it is a long stretch, French being spoken here since they settled a large part of the North American Continent.

Hell, I could understand Chinese, since so many came over to help build the railroads and take part of the gold rush.

Portuguese as well, as they were major players in the settling of the Americas.


Remind me what part of the settling, growth and development of California, nay, the American Continents, was played by Persia or any Middle Eastern country? Or even Afghan country?

History books are always missing something (they are only as reliable as people's memory), but to miss a whole fucking country in something so vital as the history of our state?

Last time I checked, English is spoken in just about EVERY country in the world. It's the language of transportation and business. Even Canadians speak it. Rumor has it parts of the deep south do, too.

I am not advocating a national language. But I am one of those people who believe that if you come here, make an attempt to learn the customs and language here. I know if I moved to your home, I would be REQUIRED to learn yours.

So go ahead and bitch at me. I really don't care if you do. But to yell at me for not speaking a "native tongue" when it's YOUR tongue in MY home? Get a fucking life.

And go home.

No comments: